KoolReport's Forum

Official Support Area, Q&As, Discussions, Suggestions and Bug reports.
Forum's Guidelines

Koolreport_pro_3.25.1 zip contains inaccessible directories #670

Open Leho Kraav opened this topic on on Feb 13, 2019 - 16 comments

Leho Kraav commented on Feb 13, 2019

Hi. Unfortunately your release manager doesn't seem to understand file/directory permission model.

drw-rw-rw- koolreport directory is going to be inaccessible after unzip, because missing x.

It's also considered bad taste to package world-writable anything, as evidenced by 666 permissions after unpacking.

Please find time to create a better release process? Tyvm.

KoolReport commented on Feb 14, 2019

We try to change mode to 755 to all file and folder before zip the newest version. Please let us know if it works at your site.

Leho Kraav commented on Feb 14, 2019

We try to change mode to 755 to all file and folder before zip the newest version.

I'm not sure what "try to change mode" means.

Is KoolPHP release team going to fix their process, or you plan to have customers do this work after every update, or...?

(3.25.3 still didn't have it fixed.)

Here's a couple of commands to maybe help you out:

Directories find -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

Files find -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

Eugene commented on Feb 14, 2019

Dear Leho Kraav, I am not a part of koolreport team I am the ordinary user same like you.

Compared with the changes and corrections that were made in the new version, the issue that you point out is a trifle, the more - you know how to fix it in 10 seconds, using the commands that you indicated. I really don't see any problem to change the permissions after unzip... I am sure that the guys will fix this issue, but it seems to me that it is not worth such a persistent discussion.

Keith Burke commented on Feb 14, 2019

Leho, do you unzip direct on the webserver? If so, this should preserve the attributes.

Devs, maybe distribute *.tgz in future, to be safe?

Eugene, maybe you don't understand the cost this problem creates, at least for our product and deployment process. For your own things, you're welcome to continue to do manual work.

Yes maybe. I can say more I do not need to understand it. :-)

Based on your words, you are a big serious company with a complex product and a nontrivial deployment process. Then I don’t understand exactly why such a simple task causes you such serious difficulties :-)

Eugene, even in a mature company, "nobody wants to deal w/ annoying bs" usually still holds true.

Many of our vendors ship zip files, KR's is the first one in years where I've seen such a mistake.

Keith - my Linux workstation, and web server, both produce the same results (btrfs). Is it not the same for you?

@Leho Nah, my deployment method precludes me from seeing your issue. My development machine is a Windows box [don't judge me :(] so I just unzip the folder into my NetBeans project then sync [sftp] the result to the webserver and redo the permissions in a script.

Thanks for the insight. That sounds like NetBeans sftp integration issue, I would definitely expect them to have a configuration option (some "special care" checkbox) or straight algorithm level thing to take care of UNIX permissions towards any server.

Ah, you are correct. I'll try that setting for the next few days.

Leho, I have the same issue on my mac and my server from the beginning of usage. What I did - I repair the permissions once on the server, and now with every update, I change the permissions on my workstation (2 clicks), and upload files to the server via sftp using my phpstorm it keeps the correct 755 and 644 permissions on the server

Yes, it is a bit annoying. Yes, it is manual work. Yes, maybe it is not so effective. But for the great project like koolreport which is free for most of the users I think we have to be more kind and patient to the koolreport team I guess it is not so big... so I prefer that they fix the issues with the reports first - 2 extra clicks once for a update it is not a high price for that... but I am sure finally they resolve this issue also.

Eugene, sure, that would work, too. But if I let these things go across many projects (and everything has its smaller, easy to look over, issues), it will pile up and suffocate my team.

My preference would be - charge more money for Pro license (that I bought), and fix this process :)

I will also click the Send tip box here, if this gets fixed. Everybody could use a free dinner every once in a while, right?

Must say, I agree with Leho. The product is the product. It shouldn't need unnecessary tweaks to get going. Charge more, I will still pay it.

I also have a Pro license... maybe I am more patient. :-)

KoolReport commented on Feb 14, 2019

The fact is that we weren't aware of this issue before. We normally used sftp to upload to our server too and all seems fine. And since the first version we released, we did not receive the complain about this issue. That's why we keep doing what we did. In this release, although we were aware of the issue but due to time constraint and the pressure of release soon so we have tried "hit and miss" attempt with the hope that it works. I have told the dev.team about this and surely they will find the solution.

@Leho: Could you please tell us your whole processes of your unzipping and uploading to your server. Which software or command do you use to unzip, which software you use to upload. The idea is that it will help us to replicate the issue here.

Build Your Excellent Data Report

Let KoolReport help you to make great reports. It's free & open-source released under MIT license.

Download KoolReport View demo
None yet

None